Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Shoe Drawing

  So the first assignment we had this quarter was to draw some shoes! And not just "take one shoe, draw it, you're done". Each student brought in one or more shoes to add to what would become big piles of them!
  We then cut out little view-finders out of blank index cards so we could focus in on the area we wanted to draw. We weren't just told to draw whatever we see; this assignment was about composition, and making shapes and textures work together. When we made a final decision on what our picture would be, we could take pictures with our cellphones, with or without using the viewfinder, to have an image to refer back to if the shoes were moved at all at any point.
  I chose to draw my shoes on a piece of paper that I had stained with red, orange, pink and yellow ink. It was a bit of a challenge to make even the 6B pencil stand out on the super-saturated paper, so once I had finished shading the drawing in with the regular pencils, I decided to add some extra dark values with a dark red and black colored pencil. I have a thing for super thick outlines, so I tried to combine my love for those with trying to make the drawing still look realistic, as opposed to cartoon-y.
  So here's the final product!!
     I'm super happy with this, and the laces were a really fun element to draw and emphasize!

No comments:

Post a Comment